Thursday, October 28, 2010

Why Read "The Right Stuff" in November?

I have previous written that this November would be a good time to read Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff. With sales of more than 5,000,000 copies, the book tells the story of "how the future began" -- the breaking of the sound barrier and the early astronauts.

The first reason is that Wichita State University's Ulrich Museum will be hosting "Buz" Carpenter on November 4. Carpenter was a pilot of the SR-71 jet that flew -- literally -- faster than a speeding bullet.  Airplanes like the X-1 and SR-71 were marvels of American ingenuity.

The public is invited.

The second reason for reading TRS in November will be posted on the 14th. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. One of the all time great books in my library. I make sure I read it at least once a year and, now that you mention it, I haven't enjoyed my 2010 reading yet!

    ReplyDelete