Great Idea, Mediocre Execution

The Hyatt Regency New Orleans, destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, finally reopened October 18, 2011. I had the opportunity to visit in January during the American Meteorological Society's annual meeting. Other than odd elevators, I loved the hotel and the staff's great attitude. I certainly recommend the hotel if you are going to be in the Big Easy.

I loved the fact they put an emergency flashlight in the room. Great idea! The only problem is that I almost didn't see it.



See the orange thing in the back of the closet under the iron? That's it. I saw it while hanging up my clothes but could have easily missed it. If the power failed, it would be very hard to get to, even if you had seen it and knew where it was.

I would suggest the bathroom, over a hair dryer, would be a better location,

That said, I give them kudos for doing this. Few hotels do.

Now that we are really getting into tornado season, do you have a working flashlight at your home, office, and in your car?

Comments

  1. We have several things besides a flashlight. Including a Stanley FatMax® Xtreme™ FuBar™. This is a prybar, hammer, etc., in case we need to pry our way out of the basement closet under the stairs, or break some sheetrock. We have also put a ref's whistle in the storm toolbox to get someone's attention if needed. I'm always looking for unique items that might help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hilary's Forecast Path Shifts West; Updated 9:20am PDT

Dangerous Travel Conditions - People Reportedly Stranded

Update on Tornado and Wind Potential; 12 Noon PDT