This is a Very Big Deal

Here is the severe weather outlook from now until 7am Saturday. First for tornadoes:
5% or higher is where you should pay attention. NWS forecast

and large hail:

The hatching represents where hailstones ≥2" in diameter may fall. 15% is significant in this forecast. 

People living in and around Wichita, Enid, Oklahoma City and Tulsa should pay attention to the weather starting this afternoon and into tonight. This could be a night event.


Now, the really bad news. The Storm Prediction Center rarely issues "high risk" outlooks (purple) a day in advance. This one maxes out the severe weather probabilities (lower map) -- I've never seen that before!

Probability map for 7am Saturday to 7am Sunday:
Long-track, violent tornadoes are possible stretching into the overnight hours Saturday night!

AccuWeather has more on this dangerous situation.

I don't often storm chase but I may late today or this evening and will almost certainly do so tomorrow. My Twitter handle is @usweatherexpert and you are certainly welcome to follow me as I will tweet as I chase. There will be some postings on this blog as well.  

My number one concern is that readers stay safe. Here is a link to the most current tornado safety rules

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hilary's Forecast Path Shifts West; Updated 9:20am PDT

Dangerous Travel Conditions - People Reportedly Stranded

Update on Tornado and Wind Potential; 12 Noon PDT